Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Piscine


A stomach of dust can have me for dinner. 
My head in the waste bin, guts plucked and 
Rawness within removed - Too true, I am no 
Particular delicacy. But, see, I've  already begun 
To section my flesh for a lifetime by finger. 

When I grow nervous or panicked I
Catch my claw at my neck, gently 
Scratching, as if to peel open a 
Flap capping a backup gash for a 
Lung's fill of oxygen

Like a goddamned fish. My 
Eyes swivel to the sides, my skin 
A rubber suit of armor, slick and wet, 
Soil for fins. A mouth fixed to a 
Shrunken zero. And you stand 

High as a fever, swaying like the 
Concrete heat that sits on the 
Hood of my car, a jittering veil 
Between us.
You flick your cigarette. It turns to flies. 

I carefully bob at them, their 
Promises, warnings - Look at your face. 
Below that glass nose rest two thin worms, 
One atop the other. They part in invitation - 
The graceful, grubby curtains of a dark hidden 

Hook, meant to pass unnoticed - I've noticed 
A thousand times. You lower your face into a 
Dream, spitting that slow steeled gray J into the 
Crests of a sea - I fall for all three. Hook, line, 
Sinker, and you're feasting on me. 



© 2015 BENJAMIN SMITH

10 comments:

  1. There are so many strong metaphors in this poem, that manage to make me freeze to ice and burn to ash at the same time.. Some relationships where not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raw emotion expressed here, Benjamin. With your ability to describe you drag me right into the pain. Very strong write. Blogger won't allow me to comment using wordpress so I use my defunct blogger address. Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good heavens, brother. This is incredible!

    The opening line is killer: "A stomach of dust can have me for dinner."

    Also these ...

    "I am no
    Particular delicacy."

    "A mouth fixed to a
    Shrunken zero."

    "And you stand
    High as a fever, swaying like the
    Concrete heat"

    "a jittering veil
    Between us."

    "curtains of a dark hidden
    Hook, meant to pass unnoticed - I've noticed
    A thousand times. You lower your face into a
    Dream, spitting that slow steeled gray J into the
    Crests of a sea - I fall for all three. Hook, line,
    Sinker, and you're feasting on me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very strong write. The pain of this plainly says to let go of some relationships...move on for your own good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. powerful imagery & the last three lines are stellar...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My comment didn't stick. Trying again. So much here to like. I liked the fishy beginning and loved this line: "You flick your cigarette. It turns to flies."

    ReplyDelete
  7. NO liFe
    heArt
    places
    wHere
    Love
    never
    borns
    aLive..
    Love liVes
    in those
    born alive..
    dies in
    those
    other
    lives..
    ashes
    cigarette LVE..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is raw and vivid and so full of stunning metaphors. Very powerful write.

    ReplyDelete