Thursday, May 25, 2017

Lecher

Contraction with night,
Then the minimized distance of vision, the
Closeness of the dark shell.
The world shrinks to infancy as
My body practices a crooked adulthood.

O cocoon 

Of limbs, you make no spark, you meet
No struggle in such an absence.
I stoke the hot blackness, pinching glass.
A channel. Crammed within the confines of a
Pearl, lustrous and bulging –
Layer by layer by layer – 
There is no between between us anymore,
Whoever you are.

Fog rolls in its cage of clarity, its cage of salts, 

No longer wildly floating its skirt over grasses.
A captive springs at its single leak, an 
Errant train slips into its resented home.

I know well the silvery sweat that

Roosts on your brow,
The mercury on the mantle.
It drips to my skin, an infected baptism – 
It pools in my navel, the reservoir of forgetting.

I will not know you in the morning

After I slink back, a blood red beggar,
Into my mother’s womb,
Into the clutch of a different kind of bone. 






© 2017 BENJAMIN SMITH

10 comments:

  1. no between between us anymore...

    breakups are not messy they are parched

    ReplyDelete
  2. This portrait of a lecher so well-known to many of us. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, unexpected visitors last night have made me rather late in responding to your piece. But love the ambition in this and will be back for more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what to make of this, Benjamin, but I love some of your word images -- silvery sweat, no between between us, for...its skirt over grasses, a crooked adulthood...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I took this as the title states and saw pain-filled images...not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like "O cocoon/Of limbs" and "infected baptism" showing a dark side of two things that are generally supposed to bring renewal and transformation. Without pure and just heart, they can turn against you.

    ReplyDelete



  7. In case any message saying ‘Stop’ pops up while installing Microsoft Office 365 due to a compatibility issue, contact our live chat support.Our online Experts through live chat will guide you through the entire process of Office setup, covering all steps and issues.Keep your 25 characters long product key with you.



    Office Com Setup
    office com/setup
    www.office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete