Thursday, November 27, 2014

Ode

Get out of there.
Siren sans the sea, you’ve stored
Yourself with kitchenware – Oui, oui, you are a 
Remnant woman, papery Miss. Swimming
In packaged smog, a gray goddess 
In a cloud contained. This cave of grays

Is no place for a deity the likes of 
You. I eat each of your moves, unrolling the 
Lines. An archive stacked on the steel 
Shelf, silver rack cooled, as if they still require time 
To cook. What a waste. Varnished, calloused, 
Scarred. For god's sake, put them back in the book.

Isn’t it uncomfortable? Huddled up
Near the back, near the back, arms
Wrapped about your voice, a choir of
Watered screams 
– Get out, please come out.
You can’t continue bottling my theology. Your 
Grail-head, your lap-chapel. Your hair is a prayer.

To deserve to perch in a
Tabernacle, yes you’ve that badge, that
Patch of grisly gauze. But why will you not
Budge? Look upon my back! The black
Manifesto, square and of skin.
You may take it, you may peel it off

If you come out from there.
Hold it to your breast and nurse it with
Sweet ennui like the mother you are. The ‘a’s 
Will latch fast. It is yours, stitched to 
Me at best. It crisply calls and I hear it. I
Hear it all, your turbulent way of the

Stressed, the unstressed, the pause 
The door is horizontal. 

The door swings down – Shuffle to the side, 
My opal, my gassed Godiva. If you will
Not oxidize with me then I am coming 

In. We will sit on that spindly stage
Together, both in chairs of casserole 
Pans, cookie sheets. Two levels, like
A glimmering bunk bed! You were 
Wise to retreat.



© 2014 BENJAMIN SMITH

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's better not to pursue -- indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Björn. But if you don't mind me asking, could you explain what you mean a bit? Perhaps I am thick-headed today.

      Delete
    2. I like the quirkiness and the spirit in this poem Images such as sitting together in casserole pan chairs, and a choir of watered screams, arms wrapped around a voice are intriguing . I am wondering what your relationship to gassed Godiva is?

      Delete
    3. Thank you for reading, Cressida de Nova! The relationship to 'my gassed Godiva' is that of an idol, one both resented and yet unwaveringly praised.

      Delete