Saturday, February 21, 2015

Two Dissolving Towels

(2013)


Two dissolving towels draped over
The left flank of a small steel fence,
Not eroded, but discolored, not
Rusted.
The right, sagging, an occasional
Nuisance to shut.
“You have to lift and jiggle it
A bit.”
A camouflaged baseball hat hangs
Where the wings converge,
Wedged snugly to secure as
Much as possible in this star’s ghost.

On a Sunday morning I see this and
Am saddened
That the man who has dirtied the
Towels with smudges of oil
Is not sitting with me, talking about
Baseball.
I do not care for baseball.
He is a coach for my brother’s team.

I expected to see him, squashing a
Half-smoked Marlboro in the ashtray
At the picnic table,
Nearing the end of a Stephen King
Bible.
Foolish, fresh anticipation.

I am twenty-three and still feel the
Need to be cradled, just
A bit.



© 2014 BENJAMIN SMITH

12 comments:

  1. Lovely poem Stephen. I'm a lot older and have never lost the need to be craddled. I like your vivid descriptions and the feeling at the end. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we ever lose the need or desire to be cradled, to be made to feel important. Wonderful details in this. I can see that table and that almost full ashtray, waiting. He may be a coach for another's team, you may not care for baseball, but it is important that you and he talk with each other, regardless. A great sense of yearning in this. Hayes Spencer is Kanzensakura

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write well Benjamin, but I think you would benefit even more by reading the other's poetry when you are linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Björn. I have every intention of reading and commenting on other's work, I simply didn't have time last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good.. I try to keep the community running and to me both the reading and writing is part of it...

      Delete
  5. Great imagery throughout & I appreciated the little bit of self-awareness & introspection at the end. I still feel the same way at 24...

    Nice write, Benjamin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice write. The phrase "I expected to see him" really hit me. We become so used to people in our lives that when they're gone, that expectation unrealized can be haunting. Peace, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very colourful descriptions...love how you put us right there with those towels hanging on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazingly told ben... makes me think of my nonexistent relationship with my father...

    ReplyDelete
  9. that need never goes away. Nice write Ben

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely written. Love the texture from the rags image.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a born story-teller...you paint a picture so full of detail and emotion that the reader identifies with it firsthand. Beautifully told and expressed. I can feel this need to be cradled and I find you to be an unusually self-aware 23 year old. I hope you will keep writing. Your stuff is so exquisite :-)

    ReplyDelete