Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Symptom of Sunsets

Black sky. Bleak sky. It is not enough.
No midnight mask can hide that
Jellied concubine, its rough shawl
Clinging to nothing, and calling for
Everything —

I am dutiful.
I am known to get the job done,
To pry the pickled fizz from the wall,
The floor, the crevices. There is no use in hiding. I will
Find you, metric centipede. I will

Bring you back, bagged and
Starched, ready for my digging
Hand, my heroic stance, thin and headless,
With your shy writhing answering the “whys.”
You are Exhibit ‘A’, Exhibit ‘B’, with a tail of
Ellipsis. Heed the critter, my reluctant flock.
Heed the critter and consider:

How am I to describe the symptom
Of sunsets? I, unoccupied.
A vacuum, a vacuum. A simulacrum.
How do I assign some elemental tag?
Ice? Shade? It is any other day —

The sun is a goddamned mole. The sky is
Emptied of its chip, gold or white.
So am I, so am I. A husk nearly
Dried. I am still. I am
Locked. I am hypnotized.

Here is your proof! The wriggling
Intestine of lenses. Eely threat of
Feeling. The never-level grows more aloof.

There is a certain comfort in
Numbness. A brother whose presence
I cannot sense in it. The conquering irrelevance,
The inherent sadness is so pretty, pretty. 
A pity it will kill me.



© 2015 BENJAMIN SMITH

8 comments:

  1. Yo Ben, I am thoroughly impressed with your imagery - no doubt this is a banger.

    I especially liked,

    "Bring you back, bagged and
    Starched, ready for my digging
    Hand, my heroic stance, thin and headless,
    With your shy writhing answering the “whys.”
    You are Exhibit ‘A’, Exhibit ‘B’, with a tail of
    Ellipsis. Heed the critter, my reluctant flock.
    Heed the critter and consider:"

    I feel each stanza even works well alone...

    By the way, if you're gonna continue to link with us,
    please be sure to visit and comment on other linkers.
    We keep the community aspect alive and well around here.
    alive and well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh, that extra "alive and well" at the end is a typo btw.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the feedback, Anthony. I apologize for my absence from the Pub for past several months. Working a full-time job while simultaneously striving for a Bachelors Degree has sapped the majority of my "free time," hence my disappearance and, even worse, the gaps in time of the completion of any writing. I'm managing it better now, and will resume regular participation.

      Delete
  2. Your command of language to evoke imagery is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, C.C.! After reading several of your poems, I can reflect that statement back at you!

      Delete
  3. Interest images here. "How am I to describe the symptom of sunsets?" Interesting thing to bring up. "Heed the critter". Another interesting statement. aka kanzensakura

    ReplyDelete
  4. fine poem - the emptiness of the sunset really struck me - to me sunsets are reason enough to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me the night often can crawl with the onset of the crawling critters.. I like your writing and hope you take the chance of reading some of the other poetry at this site..

    ReplyDelete