Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Mother ( IV )

Spilt bleach on my eyes dig the
Shape of a railed bed, the woman
Strewn about it. Permanently – I've
Abandoned the steel-wool-scrubbing. She
Doubles over, her spine a spasmodic
Fire hose planted with a row of loose knots,
An aggressive wave filling the room with
The slap of sick on plastic.

It took that rocky gulp to make me feel
Truly bodiless. The finger-guillotine, itch of
One defeated rids the senselessness
Of sun in sky, sun perched on land.
I wiped the slime from the betrayal of her
Mouth. Noise, noise, cauterizing our
Honeycomb. I was deaf in the tide of her
Silence, my alien arm reaching for every croak.

It is a hard sight to dismiss, your
Mother crumpled in a hospital gown,
Especially when a blanket of dirt teased
Her like happiness. So much noise is a chisel.
My head first filled with chokes and hair –
Then, her being rolled away from my following,
The nearing crunch of the mole, the squeal
Of the ripening baby that tripped her.



© 2015 BENJAMIN SMITH

No comments:

Post a Comment