Sunday, June 1, 2014

12/27/13

I built a dam out of stained soft
                Chairs and paper and unnecessary
Unforeseen apologies received to
                Hold you at bay
Friday
And I spoiled myself and
                In return dealt out thirty lashings I
Felt your breath on my skin
Fight or Flight I did not
Fight I hid amongst the wooden towers.

They called me the Chai Guy and the H is
                Branded further into my
                Forehead        here          here 
I wonder what my teeth look like to
Strangers or my debit card all stars and stripes
And scratched with anger Last
Summer I wore them with a dripping doubt
                But last summer was last summer and
                Last summer I was pushing dissecting pins
                Into plush

Perhaps I tossed the cellophane and the
Glittering pinecones into the barricade to
                Fortify.
The tables don’t turn they shiver and clatter and
Somersault clumsily reflecting about the axis and
                You become my friend, shape-shifter,
                Therianthrope, the lean whisper beside me the
Fan belt whistling in my head I
Often fail to realize the oceans you have left
                For dead

I elbowed down a family frame as if
By Fate, the severed thread
                F 8 , F 8 the keyboard chips a sliver from
                The polish as they grow irate
Is your policy out of state?

You straddle into welcome and I cock
My elbow for my bride
                (my groom) an occupied upper-lip clothed in
A prism of foil I pace the aisle and by the time
I say I do I am clutching to your muscled knees just
                Leave me be

I Flee

And with a stop-motion flashing of page numbers
Elude you deep into the labyrinth it is Friday I
                Was saved by an over-priced singular poem
Hardcover
Fifteen dollars the title always brings to mind my
Father’s favorite, the
                Skull-faced locomotive that I conquer three-fourths
                And then flush down the toilet

Fifteen dollars is a worthy price by quality but
Fifteen is the saddest exploitation fifteen in
                Florescent cloudiness
                Centimetric binding and my fist, a fork, devours despair
My eyes have fucked a thousand times
That hung so damp in the post-war air
I blanket myself
                in a handful of dust  in the wake of
                prior Armageddon
Fear death by water I fear death by my
Own steel-tipped fingers

You obey the border, but linger.

-BENJAMIN SMITH

No comments:

Post a Comment