Sunday, June 1, 2014

Personal Pantheon

Up here
The wind does not wastefully
Whisper it
Screams
And races as sharp as shrapnel.
My bust is stainless.
If anything, a twitch of the cheek.
Where floorboards would be sent flying
Mine only creak.

I peer and hear the dissonant
Offspring of the petri dish
Below. Of friction, mobile cultures,
A glow.
The cap hides the stalk that I know
Grows on the underside.

I was down there once, a bellowing
Primate engrossed in the war waged
Every sunrise.
The plate to be pleased. The body appeased.
Another mate dissipates and maps on my
Legs branch like an illustrated fever.
The towels in place,
As Plath’s face hit the grate I
Shriek my first shriek,
Release the first piece of the chalk likes that
Extend on the slate,
Unrolled her chemical tongue in my
Mouth.
Eyes full of white.
Even then I deflate.

I wrenched the broth from me and
The conical mass that I now top is
Coughed up from the mud by its
Own accord.
A horde of columns, a mythical wedding
Cake. With tiers for my fellow, but lesser
Legends.
This fresh mountain built so the one
Looking down this time is
Me.

I have seen them come and go,
A sporadic flow of former
Fresco-dwellers,
The beat pixie that rolled R’s,
Whose syllabic disregard and song made
Skin cleave with ease.
Words of richest art.
Disappeared,
Hung like the towels, the towels to
Dry
By the eye of VonTrier.

“Fashion me a crown of lilacs,
Of lichens and the cheapest pearls” I
Command a crowd of no one.
I am iridescent in my throne of
Lightning.
It is all borrowed, and I am alone
And accompanied,
Simultaneously.
A level lower, relics that reflect light.
Colored chrome.
The pyramids of books I have
Consumed.
The translucent elevator parts and
Here: a can of spray-paint,
Seahorse in tank. Floating files of
Etched discs encased.
A bother, the duality,
But I still tremble, for Venus as a nail
guarantees my margin of
Instability.

Three have descended from the
Cybernetic cumulus to take my seat,
A trinity.
They bestow blindness as they
Demote,
Strip me of my clothes, my power.
Opaque pistol to the throat.
I breathe gasoline into the air I
Detonate bricks rebuilt year after
Year.
But my retina heals, my brain is
Unpeeled and after I let the sizing seconds slip
I sacrifice.
I rip my right arm and toss it to the
Marble I tear my jawbone from the
Concept cradle.
Triune.
They shrink like a sponge.

Cataloged, I sink them in the
Subterranean vaults of my universe.
Magnetic adversaries.
The fathers of all wrongdoing in
My religion.
Babies in sports gear.
Babies bathed in bong water.
One, nothing short of nuclear fission,
Eyebrows that I longed to thieve by mouth
With the force that I grind the pit of a cherry.
I don’t have a thunderbolt to sheath.
My violet skin, I am a lizard king. My
Sopped sockets enter space like a
Cobweb.

My mother didn't dunk me in the
River.
Each in, a soft spot, and I do die.
But with each sugar cube headstone
Sunk behind my chair I
Sew a new skin.
Thicker but thinner, variations when traversed
By a newcomer’s fingers.
I satisfy.
Each tarp is a winner.

I have no temple in the dirt,
No bound account in every translation I do
Not have stained-glass middlemen or a
Congregation.
Either I squirmed ‘til I was free or the agar exiled
Me.

I sled down this Olympus and
Assume the visage of
Antifreeze in standing water, of a
Field of flowers. The denizens,
They infiltrate.
Splatter me mid-rotation,
Conceive in my multi-hued cocoon.
I drip to a pulse-less parking space.
In me they swoon.

So soon they sweep with cilia
The epidermis that I mime.
To blink would be no less than crime.

The armrest crackles. I, browning
Fruit.
I page through the inventory, decide
Upon tooth.
A hadron echo, of marbles in a plaster room.
Rise, Rise.
I coax myself to double-coat in different
Films, to sleep a while within the kiln.
And I bloom,
The cosmological amoeba with infinite
False feet  -   I expand
And
Stretch a network of constellations,
Each fiery diamond brand new.
Each one could have been for any of you.

-BENJAMIN SMITH

No comments:

Post a Comment