Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Solitude

A noose like mine, not as
Loose, but equal in strength,
Maybe in hue.
You are gone now, crushed by your
Creator.
Your brown bed barren, roiled by
Eight, twenty legs
Multiplied
And sticky worms.

I am not sad.
No funeral procession will hold up
Traffic for your sake, your annual sacrifice, a full mouth.
The way of the world is cruel
For you.
Sometimes for me too.                                                                                               
But I will see you again
For the twenty-fourth time.
He likes the way you taste too much
To abandon your conception.

Two weeks ago you were here and
I sat, my face reflected in
Your waxy coat
As red as the blood;
I used to laugh and lap it up like the
Thirstiest of hounds.
The ones in the commercials,
Liberated yet behind bars.
Their eyes always look wet.
“In the arms of an angel.”
The sympathetic stifle tears.
I would itch the scabs on my thighs and
Change the channel.                                                                                               

It is October but it is not cold.
The inevitable death is approaching.
You are not the only one who slips
Away.
Little Me,
As the cotton sheet is draped over
The hemisphere.
I retreat, recede into my dungeon.
But only to sleep.
A fungus with a fan blowing in his face.
I hate it unless I am
Asleep.

The inevitable death is approaching
But so is the inevitable rebirth.
This time I will be my master, or so I
Hope.

Orange and green
I place them on an upturned
Medicine lid.
A pill to make me wax
And wane.
But the bench beneath me doesn’t
Sag anymore! A brief delight.
But I fear I will never be as hollow as I wish.

I grow aware of the departure of
Light.
I instinctively flick insects of
Flight off my jeans as they stumble
Along the rugged inseam.
But I don’t want to flick.
Become a barnacle!
I paradoxically welcome you to
My solitude

I finished the book and sat paralyzed
By sadness.
Wedged in the pages, papers,
Receipts, birthday cards.
A brief delight in a cluster-fuck.
You are gone but I do not fret
For with one lap around the coronal column
Your arrival is produced by the
Paper-cut-prone hands of my father.
Crimson cone, warped and
Sheathed.

I will welcome you
For the twenty-fourth time when
“April showers bring May” – you.
Your embryo dripping and squawking in
Anticipation of the oxygen I huff
And heave as I ascend an endless staircase.
Did you piss in your mother’s womb
As I do every morning?
Half-asleep, anchored by cheap fur.
My indecent Eskimo’s arch is
Impressive.

I want to rip the page so badly.
“…my head swam like an hourglass into a tv set.”
I hear the echo of a gavel pounding,
A gavel as red as you.
And a verdict follows, my own voice
Crucify him. Crucify him.
It is a chorus of sinners.
We always sat in the balcony,
Always
On the stiffest pews.
Especially to witness the spectacle of
Resurrection.
The grass is a much softer place
To sit as I wait for yours.

Your squealing stops
After your birth. All is quiet as you hang,
Not even daring to swing from that
Noose.
Mine is growing looser, has slipped
Around my waist,
But again I will stare at my own face mirrored
In yours.

For the twenty-fourth time.

I am here still.
You are here every summer
Forever.
Perpetually planted to the far left.
Were you worried when the skunks reduced
Your neighbors to withering memories?
You will be red
Forever.
Do not mistake my tone for one of condemnation.
But I will soon take my leave to

Neverland to swim with the mermaids.

The hammer will
Inevitably
Devolve into a seahorse.
The noose, a hula hoop at my feet that
I cautiously step from to cautiously
Dip my foot into the syrup.
Millimeter by millimeter.
Who knew?
A pen to price the value of a pepper.
The muse never bids farewell.

-BENJAMIN SMITH 

No comments:

Post a Comment