Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Neutrality

These things are foul things.
Mercilessly cunning, erotic in
A way. I play with them, 
Unhook the cage and let them
Stumble drunkenly from
The ivory cradle.

I love them. I find them
Poking me like pins, a cancerous
Raffle, each begging to be the 
Stem. I am tense in a wire
Suit. Erect, stiffened so I cannot
Evade a single prick.

How many times must I
Employ you? How many ways
Can I twist and tangle you to
Mitigate the brutality of
A sunrise? 
Isn't this enough? Is this not a
Testament, a coin revolving mid-toss?

I once believed these black
Blocks would rise solely from that unholy triad,
If not all, than the ultimate.
Lift the magnifying lens, ignorant iris.
Was I incorrect? Deleted drafts of the
Alchemic buffer.
A high, high number.

But I love them. I collect them
Like butterflies that met fate freshly.
My skull has never been so full
Of phantom wings, tickling.
O what a ghastly scab, neutrality.
A fickle stalemate.

Do not dare to make me state his name.
Do not dare to make me debate with a 
Duplicate of my physical frame.

Yes I reference the deathless,
The glittering ghouls that haunt
All print, possess palette, pencil.
But I'll be hanged for my
Redundant return to the crux.
Ribbon rhymes strapping me 
To a tolerable voltage.
Does that not reveal enough? 

I can hardly count the times he
Brings a soiled Spring to me 
And blooms on page, in pixel.
The ugliest thistle. Good god, my eyes 
Ascend and bend to the
Inertia, darting across the spectrum.

It is a cavernous room, packed
Tight as a pipe with all of you.
My innocence stripped by the
Cry of this vicissitude.
One could pose that I abuse as I
Use, but I am 
Prone to argue. Just lean into 
The mirror. 
Lean into it - I'm certain you'll see it too.
You do not do.
And yet you do.
And still you do not do.

© 2014 BENJAMIN SMITH

///////////////////////////////////////////////

dversepoets.com prompt, June 5, 2014
"So what do you believe of language? which is it? the best tool? does language fail?

Answer that, or perhaps tell us a time language failed you. or maybe when you found just the right words."

Completed too late to link, but I figured submission was paramount after a birth like this.

5 comments:

  1. ha. i like that middle section on all your drafts...being like butterflies...some nice word twists through there....

    took me a second to realize this was from last week...ha....we have OpenLink at the end of the month as well that you can share it at...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is mesmerizing--the sounds, the parade of images. I think I will read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer! I am glad you see value in it. If you'd like to see more of my writing be sure to check out to bulk of my blog. Thanks again!

      - Ben

      Delete
  3. Very well written share ~ From first to last line, a gem to read tonight ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thousand thanks, Grace. If your eyes aren't too weary, feel free to peruse the rest of the writing on my blog.

      - Ben

      Delete