Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Homunculus

I ached at
     Twenty-two.
Inverted porcupine, mind like stew
I need a beaker, a
     Beaker filled with goo to create
My homunculus so
I thought: this van will do.

This van, not that van
That van is haunted by the driveway
     Where we fell where I fell,
By the swinging scalp of the enemy,
The pseudo-steel ellipse peppered
     With what is left of my
     Family tree
Haunted by the three
Seats that remain unhinged
     The twinge of the act of the entrance
“Tell me you want it” I should have
     let you freeze in the parking lot
This
Beaker is smeared and cloudy but
     It will do.

And “do” it did, but
The job was done in a forest green
Shoebox more often
     Than not
I’d imagine how light footed we
would be;
     I, him,
     He, me,
Vicariously.
I would hear the crinkle and sniff up
my snot and
     Concoct who I would run from tonight.
Buried boyfriend?
     Dear maman?
I had the bloody drum but I was
Atlas and it fit snugly and writhes
Uncomfortably on my shoulders
When was I assigned this role?

That is why you will bear a hole,
My homunculus, you will brave the
Sloping bowl of rock bottom for I
     Cannot
A hole where that hummingbird knot
     would cry.
A handful and I slip them into
Pockets and plastics but the boot
     snaps two and then there
Was you.

She struggled with a can of tea I
Wasn’t allowed to watch her wrestle
     Herself free from her leash we
Watched videos in the beaker we
spoke of sorrow with upturned lips
And flowers blooming from our
crotches we were heavy tongued we
     Was not me.
It was you, my homunculus.

There were so many test tubes the
black sleek eel that collected
pebbles of rain I have a picture of
that night of my fleshy palm
upturned as it became your fleshy
     palm upturned
Your cornucopia beneath the dome
light do not think that I use you
We diffuse the tangled testimonies and
     embark across the concrete floor.
Don’t forget to lock the door.

Snow White V-sweeties and we
glided through the circuit of the local
      mall
I’ve always wondered if when viewed
from a searching helicopter it is cut
like a swastika I feel like it is so it
     must be so
There is no
Manifest Destiny no Sears Tower
     seraphim no Xeroxed “X”
So you retreat and she slides herself
Into the viscous beaker and you join
her in the passenger seat.
     My homunculus.
I think your struts are going out.

Do not think I use you I miss you
     like I used to miss ill-fitting friends
I take the bends and run the stop
signs when I sprint down corridors
     with the hourglass reversed
I’ve seen on green “LAFAYETTE” and
I ride the wave of unpaved
     potholes
But I am not well-acquainted with
     Luck
     She fled in the bed of a pickup truck

She fled in the beaker, once alone
The second time with a mist of arms
     and stubble in my seat.
In your seat, my homunculus
What will you do? I used to sneak
     them as I looked through.
To store them in corners of frames
     Beneath paper and rubble.
How greedy I was to awaken you.

Half-lidded, wise,
My blithe eye fails to recognize
     The black-tipped stake,
Another cell to die. That’s all it would
     Take.
The pennies in the furnace,
Tax return to burn, for who?
Excuse, excuse,
To fend off the color blue.

Not that van, that van is plagued by
the driveway where I felt the ventricle swell.
That van looks, smells, sounds
     like hell.
That beaker slimed in midnight sky 
Like an oil spill. I filled it up with
     numbered tickets for reconciliation.
Triple digit.  The Father eyes his
wristwatch.
I swish and swill
And you yawn and peel the barbed
     wire, feel the barbed
     wire rebuke
You stare into the Goodwill mirror
     But, despite typhoons of bile,
     Do not puke.

-BENJAMIN SMITH

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting, passionate mix of anger and reserve, resignation and sadness, a rather disturbing poem. Reminds me also of 'Breaking Bad' TV series. Thanks for linking up to dVerse Poets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Your analysis of it perfectly describes the intended tone and the actual emotion during the time period it describes.

      Delete
  2. So many mixed emotions in this.. and yes I can see someone breaking apart..especially the feeling of being small stood out for me.. exactly how it would feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It chronicles a particularly merciless emotional maelstrom. Beautifully self-destructive period.

      Delete